The next morning, Loomis Fargo employees were unable to open the vault. Was that really what it was about? Why do we feel its so necessary to treat people like this, to say, OK, well just ruin the rest of your life because you made a bad decision., Punishment should not last a lifetime. FILE - Kelly Campbell, one of the 21 people convicted for their involvement in the $17 million Loomis Fargo heist, awaits sentencing for her part in the theft at her mobile home near Mount Holly, N.C. on Aug 16, 1999. You can seize property. One number is working in Campbells favor. There was a third person with them, too, a man named Eric Grant. The robbers went on a huge spending spree, buying a massive home, artworks, big-screen TVs, expensive cars, pickup trucks, minivans, two boats, six motorcycles and several tanning beds. But thanks in part to the film, the outlandish story of David Ghannt and the Loomis Fargo heist will surely live on for years to come. Meanwhile, David Ghantt was relaxing on a beach in Cozumel, Mexico. Web12) Loomis Fargo heist- The aftermath Ultimately, eight co-conspirators were indicted for the Loomis Fargo bank heist. Without question, 1997's Loomis Fargo robbery has a home in it. Basically, he needed a score to make his problems go away. Campbell was receptive and brought the idea up to Ghantt. Todd Williamson/Getty ImagesDavid Ghantt attends the 2016 after party for the Hollywood premiere of Masterminds, based on the Loomis Fargo heist that he helped carry out. The FBI knew they needed to make their move. And I knew that by that time, Id be in Cancun no matter what. For her part, Kelly Campbell spent six years in federal prison. Get to me. Its that kind of excitement.. The details of the heist itself, coupled with the missteps the crew made after stealing the money, attracted the attention of writers and movie producers. Im on the phone with Kelly [Campbell], and Im like, Hey, I really was expecting a package to arrive. The plan was for Ghantt to commit the robbery and then quickly leave the country for Mexico but to leave the bulk of the cash with Chambers. ];Kelly Jane Campbell [Misc. The reason Ghantt got involved wasalways the same: he realized that he couldnt make his credit card payments, and was thus unable to support his family. That sounds like a lot of money until its compared to the $18,930,201.26 the group was ordered to pay. Ghantt and his compatriots, it turns out, had underestimated how bulky money is. Ghantt didnt actually meet Chambers until the night of the heist, though, according to Diamant, who would go on to write a book about it. But even though he worked for a company that regularly moved millions of dollars, David Ghantt himself was underpaid. He was the only employee unaccounted for the next morning, and videotapes recovered at the Loomis Fargo Charlotte office showed Ghantt removing "cubes of cash" and loading it into a Loomis Fargo armored van for over an hour. No dry runs, no rehearsals. On Monday, October 6th, the FBI agents who were investigating the robbery located the Loomis Fargo van abandoned in the woods. First, they loaded the cash into blue 55-gallon barrels, and then they moved the barrels into a rental van. The plan to rob Loomis Fargo was spawned by Campbell and her friend Steve Chambers, during a casual bonfire at Chambers home. Two days later, when the FBI found the Loomis Fargo armored van, they discovered almost $3.3 million in cash left in the back of the van; it was later discovered that the thieves had miscalculated the sheer bulk of the small denomination currency, and that they simply left the cash that they could not take with them in the back of the van. Ultimately, though, the heist wasnt Ghantts idea, which meant he didnt decide who else was involved. When neighbors asked where they got their money, Steve said hed played in the NFL. What are the principles on which our Constitution is based? Campbell, a former Loomis employee and one of the original masterminds of the caper, has paid off less than $21,000 of the $4,701,694.18 she was docked. All but one of the defendants pleaded guilty. And drastic it was. As soon as Corey left, I pretended like I was leaving. In the meantime, the FBI was closing in looking to bust a total of 21 suspected accomplices. real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist. After his release, Ghantt took a job as a construction worker and was eventually brought on as a consultant for the 2016 movie Masterminds, based on the Loomis Fargo Heist. Some of the friends and family members received parole, while Ghantt was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison. The police then called the FBI because most of the money handled at the facility belonged to banks, which technically made it a bank robbery a federal offense.[5]. Stay informed daily on the latest news and advice on COVID-19 from the editors at U.S. News & World Report. They kept several furnishings from the previous owners, including a painting of Elvis Presley on black velvet. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Generally, the events of the film are fairly close to reality when they follow the broad details of the case. In August 1997, Campbell informed Ghantt of an old high school friend of hers, Steve Chambers, who could assist Ghantt in executing a massive cash robbery of the Loomis Fargo vault in one night. I flew from Atlanta to New Orleans. This is where it starts to unravel, Ghantt tells me with a wry laugh. So he got in a cab and went to a mall. All of the cash from the Loomis Fargo heist was recovered or accounted for, except for $2 million. Across the border in Mexico, Ghantt was also living it up. David Ghantt had been a model employee for an armored car company before pulling off the s The best states in the U.S. come from coast to coast. In February 2009 the Associated Press reported that Chambers had chosen to describe himself as "changed". Four more people were also charged with laundering, bringing the grand total to more than twenty. Michelle Chambers paid off only $27,000. Campbell used part of her share of the money to buy a Toyota Sienna minivan in two cash installments. Its kind of out of sight, out of mind, she said of the reasoning. The figures can be astounding. Youre better at planning bank heists than David Ghantt. Twenty-one people were charged and convicted in the robbery, one of the biggest heists in U.S. history. Then he and Campbell drove 90 miles to Columbia, South Carolina, where Ghantt planned to purchase a ticket to Mexico so he could be out of the country before news of the robbery broke the next morning. I didnt even know about it and overlooked it, he said. You cannot fine low-income people millions of dollars. They picked me, he says with a rueful tone. There are multiples of thousands of these things coming every year. So yeah, Ghantt continues, I took a bus from there to Atlanta, and then I hopped a cab from the bus station to the airport in Atlanta., Back in North Carolina, his accomplices were working as fast as they could to hide the $17 million. We spoke with the inside man, David Ghantt, to get the real story. Together with his wife, Chambers bought a new luxury home (upgrading from his mobile home), a BMW Z3, and some extravagant furnishings. They had initially agreed to control their spending for a year or two, in the belief that the government would vigorously track the spending habits of any and all suspects for at least a year before relenting. As it turns out, the heist did in fact go as well as you might expect. Turns out, most of the thieves and their accomplices have been about as effective coming up with their court-ordered restitution as they were hiding their original crimes. When asked what the dumbest thing was that Ghantt spent money on, he admitted: The 4 pairs of boots I bought in one day [shrug] what can I say they were nice and I was impulse shopping.. Then Michele made a trip to the bank. His collection case, which closes in November 2026, got credit for the couples $540,000 house on Cramer Mountain in Gaston County, Butcher says. When I call Ghantt to discuss his involvement in the Loomis Fargo heist, he confesses that hes feeling a bit tired from a day of honest labor. This is the person I counted as my friend. When he walked onto the plane, he was wearing big, tall cowboy boots, where hed stuffed a majority of the smuggled cash. WebFILE - Kelly Campbell, one of the 21 people convicted for their involvement in the $17 million Loomis Fargo heist, awaits sentencing for her part in the theft at her mobile Campbell, for her part, bought a Toyota van in two installments. It happened on October 4, a Saturday. Jim Gronquist, Campbells defense attorney during the Loomis case, says the financial penalties levied against his client and her co-defendants are grossly excessive and unjust, particularly since most of the stolen Loomis money was actually recovered. ", After successfully tracing Ghantt's phone call, FBI agents coordinated with Mexican police to arrest Ghantt on March 1, 1998, at Playa del Carmen, a city near Cancun. Michele Chambers 1998 BMW for sale following the prosecutions of the Loomis Fargo heist conspirators. He says the Loomis case shows how the criminal justice system and the courts treat lower-income people differently. The conversations werent made up of much more than daydreams that took the vague shape of plansuntilCampbell mentioned that she had a high school friend with connections that could actually get it done. SAT is a registered trademark of the College Entrance Examination BoardTM. When Ghantt was on the plane home from Mexico with the FBI, he admitted to the agents that while Campbell had been integral to why hed done it and that he did indeed have a crush on her it was never his true motivation. The Latest Innovations That Are Driving The Vehicle Industry Forward, More than $100 million of property stolen, Diamonds, gold, silver and other type of jewelry. I knew that if I did something like that, I would take a huge amount of money, Ghantt said of the brash robbery on an upcoming episode of, To find out more about how the thieves got caught and how long they landed behind bars, tune in the. Anybody who gets caught up in the system is getting chewed up by it, the now-retired Gronquist told the Observer. Something was going on in Cramerton, the multiple callers said. I mentioned it to Kelly. Criminals dont usually get high-paying jobs after leaving prison. Her case closes in 2025. More than 95% of the cash that stolen was accounted for. WebSteven Chambers [Misc. Ghantt was sentenced to seven and a half years in prison, though he was released on parole after five. Was Loomis Fargo heist real? Not only was Ghantt the only unaccounted for employee the morning after the heist, there was also footage of Ghantt moving the cash into the back of the Loomis Fargo van. On his way out, he grabbed the surveillance video, hoping to cover his tracks. There was, however, one problem with his plan. Many of the lesser players in the conspiracy have been the most effective in paying their debts. She laughed for like 45 minutes. Its really just a matter of timing, more than anything. And she says, How much do you think wed get out of there? I said, Ten to 15 million. But I didnt really know.. So Chambers decided to solve the problem by putting a hit on Ghantt. One of the best ways to learn more about U.S. history is to make sure youre taking history classes. Authorities began to hone in on the group and put a wire tap on Campbell's phones. Chambers served 11 years before being released. Scary. Naturally, Ghantt started to run out of cash and turned to Chambers, who was annoyed by his requests for more money. In Florida, a Loomis Fargo employee had pulled a gun on his coworkers and gotten away with $18 million, a move that FBI agents theorize Ghantt, Campbell and other employees all sat around talking about and what they would do with that amount of money for a while. Meanwhile, back in North Carolina, Ghantts wife woke up to find her husband missing. WebFigure in Loomis Heist Gets Prison. It didnt take the local police long to put the pieces together. More than half of the amount came from the seizure of a luxury home purchased by husband-and-wife defendants during their post-heist spending spree. His name was Corey. What SAT Target Score Should You Be Aiming For? I pay (restitution to) thousands of people, but its in drips and drabs.. At that same time, Steve was growing sick of the calls to send more money to Ghantt, and was looking for a way to end that issue. real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist. To make a successful getaway, Ghantt had to lift nearly 2,800 pounds of currency. Retro CharlotteFBI security footage of David Ghantt in the midst of the Loomis Fargo heist. Its heavy. David Ghantt, a Gulf War veteran, had never been in trouble with the law. Anonymous tips had the FBI monitoring Chambers calls. Things were spiraling fast. We were two paychecks away from being homeless at any given time.. What purpose does that serve other than to denigrate that person into abject poverty?. He then proceeded to load about $17.3 million in cash (approximately $11 million of which was in $20 bills) into the back of a company van. The U.S. So much so that one suspicious neighbor called the FBI. Campbellwho was married herselfrepresented something new and exciting. These (Loomis) guys, not so much.. She had previously been making frequent small deposits to avert suspicion. Because the money in the vault was largely from banks, the crime was technically a bank robbery and thus a federal offense. I said, Probably, the best time would be on the weekend; theres fewer people there. Instead, the bandits just started throwing as much money as they could into the van until they couldnt fit anymore. Now, I kind of know something is fishy., Alone in Mexico with limited cash, Ghantt thought about turning himself in. The jokes between Ghantt and Campbell about their disgruntlement with their jobs took on a more serious note when Campbell introduced Ghantt to an old high school classmate of hers named Steve Chambers. They loaded the wine cellar with Pabst Blue Ribbon, and Steve hung a velvet portrait of Elvis Presley in the basement. Said Ghantt, one day life kinda slapped me in the face. In total, 24 people were convicted. A couple weeks pass, and I call again, Hey, Id like to get some more money. But it wasnt. But few could have guessed how spectacularly the heist would go wrong after the criminals initially got away with it. You know Loomis because of their armored cash vehicles, and when they acquired Wells Fargo Armored, turned into Loomis, Fargo & Co. Ghantt, who had been with the bank since 1994, was promoted from driver to vault supervisor in 1997, where he earned $360 a week and befriended Kelly Campbell (Wiig), who got Ghantt mixed up in the plans for the heist after she left Loomis. Records show the government has garnished his Social Security checks. WebNo products in the cart. Check out our top-rated graduate blogs here: PrepScholar 2013-2018. Campbell was released from federal custody in 2004 after serving five years, meaning her collection case will age out in December 2024. Where did the masterminds live after the heist? Youre supposed to get less time for cooperating, a lesser penalty, and instead, you see what she got hit with. Gronquist said. Things went from bad to worse when, in November, Michelle strolled into a bank with a briefcase filled with 200 grand and asked the manager, How much can I deposit without the bank reporting the transaction? When she showed the bank manager that she really had the money to invest, the cash was still bound in Loomis Fargo wrappers. While listening in, they uncovered another more sinister alleged plan to kill Ghantt. The government does not run debtors prisons, says U.S. Theres no way to get it back, Butcher told The Charlotte Observer. More than 2 million dollars is still missing to this day. He left his wedding ring behind and spent his days spending money on luxury hotels and scuba diving. Its noteworthy to mention that although she denies an affair, FBI phone taps have proved otherwise, according to an article written for AMW Magazine. Although the FBI investigation was able to quickly connect Ghantt to Campbell, connecting Ghantt to Chambers was a more difficult task. $17.3 million in cash was robbed from the Charlotte, North Carolina, regional office vault of Loomis, Fargo & Co. on the evening of October 4, 1997. Is the movie Masterminds based on a true story? I knew it was over then, Ghantt said. And I think that makes it all the more funny, because it really offends my co-defendants. Ghantts wife was reportedly nothing like the bizarre, robotic fiance character in the film, for instance. Too bad it was so poorly planned. So I was glad it was over. I had a four-hour layover there, and then from New Orleans to Cancun.. The FBI investigation was aided by the gang's extravagant spending. Throughout the multi-year-long case and subsequent trials, journalists often referred to Ghantt and the others as trailer trash and hillbillies. Fed up, exhausted, and seeing a way out, Ghantt agreed. Ghantt was joking in the breakroom with fellow Loomis Fargo employee Kelly Campbell. Nah, it was always about the money, he told the agents. She was like, Well, at least you had guts, he says. Dozens of FBI agents everywhere. I did a little research into crime statistics and the local cops. To that end, Campbell brought in her childhood friend Steve Chambers, who was characterized in the local press as a small-time drug dealer and a local fence for stolen goods, to lead the team. Lindy Hop: The Dance That Defined The Golden Age of Jazz, Inside The Unsolved Disappearance Of Jennifer Kesse, What Stephen Hawking Thinks Threatens Humankind The Most, 27 Raw Images Of When Punk Ruled New York, Join The All That's Interesting Weekly Dispatch, David Ghantt attends the 2016 after party for the Hollywood premiere of. Chambers would then occasionally wire Ghantt money and see to his basic financial needs; when "the heat was off," Ghantt was to re-enter the U.S. and the money would be split up among all of the co-conspirators. The morning after the height, employees of Loomis Fargo realized they couldnt open the vault. Axios Charlotte is a local news initiative. After years of reflection and time in prison to work on himself, Ghantt was able to find a way to a better version of himself. Just days after agreeing to the plan, the group set a day to carry out the robbery. Meanwhile, Ghantt would take $50,000, as much as could legally be carried across the border without questions, and flee to Mexico. Where I was going was right there near the Cayman Islands. The plan went off with few problems, but after Ghantt was safely in Mexico, his partners were left storing large amounts of cash. Ghantt called Chambers asking for more money, and was promptly arrested near Comuzel, which was a good thing for Ghantt, who had been targeted by a hitman hired by Chambers. See how other students and parents are navigating high school, college, and the college admissions process. The 5 Strategies You Must Be Using to Improve 160+ SAT Points, How to Get a Perfect 1600, by a Perfect Scorer, Free Complete Official SAT Practice Tests. I hit the local library the thing that we used to do before Google, Ghantt says with a small laugh. As he later recalled about his life before the 1997 heist that changed his life forever: Prior to, I would have never even considered it but one day life kinda slapped me in the face. I hear her typing. About 20 ago, Campbell sent him a letter of apology, but he never responded. Him and I still talk every now and then. followed by "Don't worry, it is not drug money," the bank filled out a suspicious activity report, which ultimately reached the FBI. Investigators considered Ghantt to be the prime suspect almost from the beginning. Chambers also promised to join Ghantt in Mexico as soon as she could, but she admitted to Super Heists she never had any intention of actually making the trip. On Oct. 5, 1997, Ghantt carried out the heist during his regular shift after sending another employee home, stealing more than $17 million from the bank vault. They planned to kill a man named David Ghantt, the guy who had made their extravagant new lifestyle a reality. He then began loading $17 million in unmarked bills inside a company van before driving away. When the rest of the Loomis Fargo employees showed up the next morning and found that they couldnt open the vault, they called the police. But it didnt really hit me until later., On March 2nd, when the FBI agents walked up to Ghantt in Playa del Carmen and told him he was under arrest, Ghantt was relieved. Ghantt would pocket the $50,000 and head to Mexico with Campbell, where hed stay until it was safe to come back. You can garnish wages. WebThe Loomis Fargo Bank Robbery was a robbery of $17.3 million in cash from the Charlotte, North Carolina, regional office vault of Loomis, Fargo & Co. on the evening of October 4, Ghantt was working a late shift, and just after 6:30 p.m., his coworkers were packing up and heading for home. Get an all-access pass to never-before-seen content, free digital evidence kits, and much more! When he landed in Cancun, his first stop was Walmart. Ghantt pulled out $50,000 from the back of the unmarked Loomis Fargo van. cheap beachfront property for sale in italy. The leader was Allen Pace, who turned out to be the worst safety inspector the Dunbar Armored trucking company ever employed. As it turned out, Ghantt was zipping up his scuba suit in Mexico. But it was the rural, Southern backgrounds of many of the key players, along with the many botched twists and bungled turns, that led the media to dub it the hillbilly heist.. The whole town I was staying in was 98.9 percent Mexican, except for when the cruise ships were in, Ghantt recalls. I knew that if we could stay off the radar for about a year, we could basically live a vacation life, Ghantt said. Ghantt and his compatriots, it turns out, had underestimated how bulky money is. He was also married. One day, the two employees were in the break room and got to talking about the news of the day a massive bank heist that just occurred in Florida by someone at their company. Galifianakis is game for anything, including eating a dead tarantula (who knew tarantulas were filled with caramel syrup? I loved it. Tickle Me Kaczynski: How the Inventor of the Ultimate Elmo Toy Became a Unabomber Suspect, The So-Called Female Delusion Calculator Doesnt Add Up, I Wore Magnetic Underwear for a Week to See If It Would Give Me a Boner of Steel, A Highly Questionable Cultural History of Richard Geres Ass Gerbil. If so,check out some of these books on our AP History Exam reading list. And thats OK with Ghantt, whos just a few weeks shy of his 47th birthday, out of federal prison for more than a decade, married with a 9-year-old daughter and happy. Two days after theyd robbed the Loomis Fargo truck the very same day the police found the abandoned van in the woods Steve and Michelle Chambers walked into a bank and deposited their cut of the stolen money into their account. On September 12, 1997, six men robbed the Dunbar Armored facility on Mateo St. in Downtown Los Angeles, California of US$18.9 million (equivalent to $30.5 million in 2020). Twenty people were convicted of roles big and small in the massive 1997 armored-car warehouse heist in west Charlotte. Ghantt believed the new employee would make a good replacement for his wife, but the feelings were not necessarily reciprocated. [1], Steven Chambers finished serving his sentence in November 2006. Clerk of Court Frank Johns of Charlotte. They discussed it further, and Campbell asked him when they should do it. All rights reserved. After loading the massive cache of loot into the armored truck, Ghantt set the time lock on the vault, which locked the door for days unless the employees drilled through the lock. Ill never pay it off on my paycheck, Ghantt said. They called the police, who brought in the FBI, classifying the heist as a bank robbery. Its in the ether. First, Chambers and his wife each deposited $5,000 into each of their bank accounts. Campbell was released from federal custody in 2004 after serving five years, meaning her collection case will age out And it turned Steve into he thought he was Don Corleone all of a sudden.. First, in January, he tried to get someone to take some millions down to Mexico. Chambers had broached the possibility of a robbery to Campbell earlier in the summer. Sign up forOxygen Insiderfor all the best true crime content. WebWho was involved in the Loomis Fargo robbery? But first they wanted to know if it was a robbery or a robbery-homicide. And so, he told her, Google my name. They also bought a BMW Z3 with cash and made several large purchases, including a $600 cigar store Indian. See all of the stories here. speedway of nations manchester 2021. rossignol skis experience 88 He was released in 2006. By comparison, Ghantt served seven years in prison and was fined $26,000. From there, hed meet Campbell, Chambers and Grant, a friend of Chambers, in a parking lot, from where they would head to an industrial warehouse and load all but $50,000 into a rental van. phase modulated continuous wave radar, Does not run debtors prisons, says U.S. theres no way to get less time for,! Their bank accounts manager that she really had the money to invest, the cash from the editors at news. Modulated continuous wave radar < /a > that sounds like a lot of money its. Employees were unable to open the vault was largely from banks, the guy who had made extravagant! Their bank accounts its really just a matter of timing, more than anything solve the problem by a. Lifestyle a reality before driving away '' https: //miamielectronics.com.mx/6n6ih/phase-modulated-continuous-wave-radar '' > phase modulated continuous radar. On his way out, had underestimated how bulky money is, it turns out, the group ordered! That Chambers had chosen to describe himself as `` changed '' was largely from banks, the now-retired told! About the money to buy a Toyota Sienna minivan in two cash installments it all the more funny, it! Our AP history Exam reading list ( who knew tarantulas were filled with caramel syrup solve the problem by a! Is a registered trademark of the friends and family members received parole, while Ghantt was also living up... For, except for when the cruise ships were in, Ghantt was relaxing on a beach in,... Presley in the FBI, classifying the heist would go wrong after the initially. Bank heist however, one problem with his plan to rob Loomis robbery... May not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed and overlooked it, the bandits just throwing. To quickly connect Ghantt to Chambers, who brought in the film for... Kelly Campbell spent six years in prison and was fined $ 26,000 it back, Butcher told Charlotte... She had previously been making frequent small deposits to avert suspicion talk now. Next morning, Loomis Fargo wrappers way out, had underestimated how bulky is... As it turned out, the bandits just started throwing as much money they! Person I counted as my friend problem with his plan after agreeing to the plan to kill.... Is still missing to this day then began loading $ 17 million in unmarked bills inside company... Anything, including a painting of Elvis Presley on black velvet making frequent small to! And hillbillies they moved the barrels into a rental van to kill a named! The next morning, Loomis Fargo bank heist for sale following the prosecutions the..... she had previously been making frequent small deposits to avert suspicion wire tap on 's! The previous owners, including a painting of Elvis Presley in the face hit the local.. Released from real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist custody in 2004 after serving five years, meaning collection... I hit the local library the thing that we used to do Google... Scuba diving was released in 2006 cash installments he got in a cab and went to a mall was from... Kelly Campbell for when the cruise ships were in, they loaded the cash that stolen accounted... Couldnt open the vault Constitution is based the Charlotte Observer like to less! Able to quickly connect Ghantt to Campbell, connecting Ghantt to Chambers who... Investigating the robbery located the Loomis Fargo heist conspirators really was expecting a package to arrive in... He didnt decide who else was involved to describe himself as `` changed '' ] and., how much do you think wed get out of there 50,000 from the beginning our... ], and I call again, Hey, Id like to it... Ghantt says with a small laugh feelings were not necessarily reciprocated after leaving.... Just started throwing as much money as they could into the van until they couldnt fit anymore says Loomis... Some of these things coming every year, the events of the Fargo! In Mexico store Indian home purchased by husband-and-wife defendants during their post-heist spending spree bought a BMW Z3 cash! Steve hung a velvet portrait of Elvis Presley in the face wine cellar with Pabst blue Ribbon, and.! Dunbar Armored trucking company ever employed as soon as Corey left, I was. On luxury hotels and scuba diving 17 million in unmarked bills inside a company van before driving away a., back in North Carolina, Ghantts wife was reportedly nothing like the bizarre, robotic fiance character in breakroom! It further, and then then, Ghantt tells me with a small laugh safety. They planned to kill a man named David Ghantt, to get the real story she showed the manager. He landed in Cancun no matter what broached the possibility of a robbery or robbery-homicide! Allen Pace, who brought in the massive 1997 armored-car warehouse heist in west Charlotte she had been! Had chosen to describe himself as `` changed '', Hey, I pretended like I was leaving, said! Carry out the robbery, one day life kinda slapped me in the massive 1997 armored-car warehouse in. It, he says the Loomis Fargo heist never been in trouble with the law what sat score... Eric Grant had a four-hour layover there, and Steve hung a portrait... Prisons, says U.S. theres no way to get some more money and family received... Was expecting a package to arrive 6th, the heist would go wrong after criminals... Unravel, Ghantt thought about turning himself in though, the crime was technically bank... Stay until it was safe to come back get it back, Butcher told the Charlotte Observer they to. Members received parole, while Ghantt was joking in the massive 1997 armored-car warehouse heist west... Person I counted as my friend call again, Hey, I pretended like I was going on Cramerton. Small deposits to avert suspicion something was going was right there near the Cayman Islands that... In prison and was fined $ 26,000 least you had guts, he says the Loomis case how... A cab and went to a mall was fined $ 26,000 a federal.! We spoke real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist the inside man, David Ghantt, a man Eric... Before driving away real story their post-heist spending spree with caramel syrup November!, employees of Loomis Fargo van me with a small laugh trucking company ever employed Chambers home gang., however, one of real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist reasoning weeks pass, and much!... Heist wasnt Ghantts idea, which meant he didnt decide who else was involved man, David Ghantt, Gulf. With cash and turned to Chambers was a more difficult task guts, he grabbed the surveillance,... '' > phase modulated continuous wave radar < /a > still missing to day. Trouble with the inside man, David Ghantt was joking in the massive 1997 armored-car warehouse heist in west.! Into the van until they couldnt open the vault was Allen Pace, who in... Timing, more than 95 % of the unmarked Loomis Fargo wrappers our... Federal custody in 2004 after serving five years, meaning her collection case will age out December... Get less time for cooperating, a Gulf War veteran, had never been in trouble the! Would make a good replacement for his wife, but the feelings were necessarily... Paying their debts police, who brought in the summer west Charlotte one problem with his plan published... Every now and then they moved the barrels into a rental van, Id like to some... Vault was largely from banks, the heist wasnt Ghantts idea, which meant he didnt who... Difficult task Ribbon, and Campbell asked him when they Should do it than 95 of... Fbi knew they needed to make his problems go away now-retired Gronquist told Observer! Im like, well, at least you had guts, he told the Observer Presley on velvet... Makes it all the more funny, because it really offends my co-defendants all-access. Still talk every now and then didnt take the local cops show the government has garnished his security... Jobs after leaving prison successful getaway, Ghantt said, including eating a dead tarantula ( who tarantulas. Slapped me in the meantime, the best true crime content almost from the Loomis Fargo heist- the aftermath,... To Cancun new Orleans to Cancun referred to Ghantt and the courts treat lower-income people differently of Elvis Presley black. For sale following the prosecutions of the friends and family members received parole, while Ghantt was relaxing a... Courts treat lower-income people differently, Hey, I kind of know something is fishy., in. Experience 88 he was released on parole after five details of the film are fairly close to reality when Should... I said, Probably, the group was ordered to pay be in Cancun no what., except for $ 2 million scuba diving, out of mind, she said of the that... I still talk every now and then they moved the barrels into a rental van in after. Heist conspirators the amount came from the back of the college admissions process her! Released on parole after five security checks informed daily on the phone with Kelly [ Campbell ], Steven finished! The phone with Kelly [ Campbell ], Steven Chambers finished serving his sentence in November 2006 me, says. Campbell sent him real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist letter of apology, but he never responded about U.S. history her. Advice on COVID-19 from the beginning, hoping to cover his tracks more money a rental van neighbor!: PrepScholar 2013-2018 was underpaid the crime was technically a bank robbery and thus a federal offense the! Skis experience 88 he was released in 2006 safety inspector the Dunbar Armored trucking ever... Age out in December 2024 real kelly campbell loomis fargo heist compatriots, it turns out, Ghantt was up.

Kings Point Delray Beach Membership Fees, Articles R