I know that he did a tour at the British Jungle Warfare School in 1968. FORT DIX YEARBOOK APRIL 1972 COMPANY A 4TH BATTALION WITH PHOTO AND RECORD HTF. Contained herein are commentsdescribing theprocess. I went to, and got involved in the First Baptist Church in Leesville, and met some really great people who lived in Leesville and the surrounding area. 3 Embossed,brown Robe Santa Claus Postcard 1909 & More. Their educational levels ranged from primary school to college graduate. This training area became known as Tigerland. Army. the war was winding down big time when I was WIA Feb.1971. Fort Knox Basic Training Yearbook 1977 Company D, 2d Bn, 1TB. Personal space was limited to our bunk bed, wall locker andfoot locker. I was at Ft. Polk in 1968. TWS is the largest online community of Veterans existing today and is a powerful Veteran locator. Right out of high school. I remember that it was called Little Vietnam! Top Rated Seller Top Rated Seller. He was one of two Drill Sergeants assigned to my Fourth Platoon. Believe it or not, I have good memories of my time there, the friendships and camaraderie. We arrived at Ft Polk around 1AM Aug.~Nov 67. Our office supervisor was, if my memory serves me correct, was 1LT. 1972 US Army Infantry Training Center Fort Polk Louisiana LA Yearbook 4th Condition: Used Price: US $19.99 Buy It Now Add to cart Add to Watchlist Returns accepted Ships from United States Shipping: FREE Economy Shipping | See details Located in: Hatboro, Pennsylvania, United States Delivery: Estimated between Thu, Dec 22 and Thu, Dec 29 to 23917 Company Commander: 1st Lieutenant CAREY W. GREEN, JR. 194 Recruits Graduated. ! I think I still owe you 50 pushups sarge !! Which I found out afterwards, why! Heck, it was learned that I was a competent golfer so I was selected to play in a tournament with base officers so I was excused for an entire week to practice and play, my wife having sent my clubs to the fort via Greyhound bus. 1-19th: Alpha Class 63-20: Cache Creek Chapel Complex: November 6, 2020: 1300-1400: would love to know if hes alive and ok. Bob Warden bigbadbob345@yahoo.com. Many times wonder how many made it back. I hope you keep searching and I wish you my best. 1972 Fort Dix, NJ B 1-21st Platoon. Uploaded by But I played it along and missed a bit of basic. Our drill sergeants kept us busy. We were expected to maintain our personal area, including our personal items, in immaculate condition. 1999 (2 copies) 2000 [Last issue] U.S. Army Reserve Historical Summary. Good luck, Mike. I truly Polk helped prepare me for Nam. Fort Polk Louisiana 1966. 192 Recruits Graduated on 23 May 1969. web pages Inadequate training would mean producing troops ill-equipped to perform successfully as soldiers which in turn would erode the effectiveness of the army and put the national defense of the nation at risk. My company might have been E-3-3, or maybe that was my Basic company. click HERE For the News Digest and Fort Drum dining facility and movie schedules click HERE DD Form 261 Report of Investigation Line of Duty and April 18th, 2019 - REPORT OF INVESTIGATION LINE OF DUTY AND MISCONDUCT STATUS 1 YYMMDD 2 OF X one INJURY DISEASE ILLNESS DEATH 3 X as applicable a REGULAR OR Received Letter of accommodation from CO and was promoted to PFC there. 1969 US Army Training Center Yearbook - Fort Polk, Louisiana Condition: Used "Good overall, some old moisture damage near bottom and near spine (pictured)" Price: US $25.00 Buy It Now Add to cart Best Offer: Make offer Add to Watchlist Longtime member Shipping: US $6.00Economy Shipping | See details Located in: Carthage, Mississippi, United States Our troops are capable of the best of discipline. We were from vastly different backgrounds and most of my classmates reservists or guardsmen. It encompasses the crucial events, milestones, and, most importantly, the people who make up the class and make it unique. The bunks contained no safety rails nor did the bunks have ladders tofacilitate access tothe upper bunk. I took Basic at Polk in March 1968. Fort Polk has quite a few dead zones actually, mostly in the training areas. Made SP5 in April, 1968. 1972 Fort Dix, NJ B 1-21st Platoon 1965 Fort Gordon, Georgia Ft Leonard Wood Ft McClellan 1979 Fort McClellan D-2nd Bn-4th Platoon Ft Ord 1952 63rd Inf Rgt G Co 1954 Co B, 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, 1954 K Co Ft Ord 20th Inf Rgt 1963 Co B, 5th Bn, 1st Brigade, 7 October 1963 - 29 November 1963 South Korea I thought they were easier on us in Basic Training. All of the guys that were in my company for basic training were National Guard guys from all over the US. That was rough. And I was fit. Assigned to G2/G3 at Hq USARV. The Taxi Driver said. my dad was a drill sgt here roger burdette wish someone had some pics of him think he was there in 1967-68 and later. Rand McNally indexed pocket map undated. Fort Polk is a United States Army installation located in Vernon Parish, approximately 10 miles east of Leesville, Louisiana, and 30 miles north of DeRidder, Louisiana. Browse 708 fort dix stock photos and images available, or search for fort dix new jersey to find more great stock photos and pictures. Training was intense. Realize for many Vietnam sucked but for me, a big improvement over Ft. Polk. Arrived at Fort Polk From Chicago where it was 4 Degrees in Feb of 71 and 70 at Polk I thought I died and gone to heaven until I met My Drill by the name of Lopez real asshole hated us Chicago Boys he said we were all Gangsters. Fort Polk, Louisiana, is a U.S. Army military base located in western Louisiana. He got sick after three week . I just found out that I am not a baby killer. Couldnt believe the lousy treatment after being treated like crap in basic. I, too, made E-5, Spec. I contacted a warrant officer on post and was told I would have to take the test again as there were no results in my file. Fort McClellan in Anniston, Alabama 1972-1974, 1976-1977. I took Basic and AIT at Fort Polk, North Fort from March into August 1972. and completed my military obligation in D-3-2, just a side note, I have looked for that pocket patch for Drill Corporals forever, cant find one. LZ Center. After being sworn-in at Ft Lee, NJ, we were taken to JFK & boarded a commercial charter 707. As a 2nd LT got orders to VN after one yr. A week later orders were cancelled for all cadre at the Fort. It would have been our last or next to last patrol before being moved to DaNang. I was a kid (like most everyone else) when I arrived from Chicago at Ft. Polk in the fall of 72 (and stayed until early 73) for Basic and AIT I just wish I could figure out (or remember) exactly WHERE I was there.. Echo-3-2 comes to memory, but Im not certain that its from there. Opens in a new window or tab. THANK FOR THE REPLAY I WAS IN POLK FROM JAN/ TO JULY DO U KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT AN GENT ORANGE BEING USED AT POLK. He was sent to basic training at Ft. Polk in May (I think) but for sure 1967. Had drill Sargent Spain also. Got to Nam and became 11B for 4 months before I touched a mortar. Came out of Basic an E2 was that normal? Well, what did you think? The rifle range was located several miles from the barracks. Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures, High-Resolution, Full Color Images Available Online, Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages, View College, High School, and Military Yearbooks, Browse our digital annual library spanning centuries, Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing. I enlisted and was sent to basic at Ft. Bragg, NC. So, I guess that he was a badass infantry grunt and did not care too much for other positions. Pre-Owned. Harold Hathcock. I also processed personnel records for discharge and for shipment to Vietnam and Korea. I could barely run when I got drafted, but they made me into a lean and mean fighting machine. Lost three buddies during my tour and was wounded myself with schrapnel. He was a soldiers soldier and died from agent orange last year. At least fifty trainees were assigned to a barrack, and probably more. Relive homecoming, prom, graduation, and other moments on campus captured in yearbook pictures. (This annual historical summary combines the previously separately produced U.S. Army Reserve Command (USARC) and Office, Chief of Army Reserve (OCAR) annual historical reports. Copyright 2005-2023 Digital Data Online, Inc. Material on this website is protected by copyright laws of the United States and international treaties. Finally, after eight weeks of training came graduation. Fort Polk changed from a Continental Army Command (CONARC) post in July 1975 and became a Forces Command (FORSCOM) member. This included knowing how to kill. The following is a list of school yearbooks, alumni directories, and similar publications held by the History and Genealogy Department. It is a God awful reality at 68 years of age. Completed Infantry AIT in July of 71 at Polk. Go to the website and contact the webmaster. 1954 Co B, 63rd Infantry Regiment, 6th Infantry Division, 1963 Co B, 5th Bn, 1st Brigade, 7 October 1963 29 November 1963, 1961 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Leonard Wood, MO), 1963 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Polk, LA), 1970 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Bragg, NC), 1974 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Polk, LA), 1976 United States Army Training Center Fort Dix New Jersey Yearbook, 1977 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Leonard Wood, MO), 1986 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Sill, OK), 1987 US Army Training Center Yearbook (Fort Jackson, SC). Awful memories of both places and Ill never forget it as hard as I tried. I was a lean, mean fighting machine. 1st Plt. yes his time at Ft Polk would or should be on duty assignments date and time ect. Levied to Vietnam May of 1970. 211 Recruits Graduated on 22 October 1967. Thanks. My training companys chain of command was as follows: trainee (E1 or E-2) -> drill sergeant (E-5) -> senior drill sergeant (E-6) -> first sergeant (E-7) -> executive officer (2nd lieutenant) -> company commander (captain). I am certain we took some unnecessary casualties because of that. From 1972 until 1987, Fort Polk hosted the 1st Battalion, 40th Armor Regiment. 10 talking about this. I guess I thought I was tough enough but soon realized that I wasnt. Bedford. Private Sparno, the fact is I still remember the sharp, hot, burning shrapnel, frags, on my hands and arms. Trainees were taught how to fire the M-16from different positions(all of which were awkward). Once with an Army buddy, once with my family including my 3 sons, and the last time I went alone. This book is from the United States Army Training Center Infantry in Fort Polk Louisiana. Fort Jackson Basic Training Yearbook 1969 Company B. Roster and Photos for Recruit Company B, 2nd Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1969, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Jackson, South Carolina. Yearbooks are one of those home sources, usually found in an attic or basement, which many people don't think of as a family history source. Since 9-11, Fort Polk Soldiers of have been called to serve around the world, deploying to Operations Enduring Freedom, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, Inherent Resolve and more, in missions that embraced medical, military police, engineer and other support roles in addition to combat missions. It wasn't until the 1961 Berlin Crisis that Fort Polk reactivated on a more permanent basis and became an infantry training center in 1962. I was suppose to go to fort Lee Va, for supply school finally got there in July of 71. Charlie Company Vietnam 1966-1972 1st Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 4th Infantry Division. Had draftees coming in 24 hours a day. Ft Polk TIGER LAND has its special place and its reputation for training 11bravos. Made E-5, Spec.5 in 15 months. I was at tigerland 1966-67..seargent Ramos.kept me aliveGodI hated that placebut now..Its one of my fondest memories. He passed away last year from cancer, Agent Orange. Welcome home Brother. My DI was Sgt. I was in the Lancaster PAANG for 21 years. If you reside in an EU member state besides UK, import VAT on this purchase is not recoverable. If anyone remembers my brother or this incident I would really like to talk. It indicates, "Click to perform a search". I would eventually end up on aircraft carriers deployed in the South China Sea and beyond." Jeff Manthos . Please allow additional time if international delivery is subject to customs processing. Some were active army; others were serving in the reserves or national guard. All of them had great singing voices and I loved singing the songs while we were marching. The final chapter of the Vietnam War ended for Fort Polk. Six, after the first couple of weeks we could get a weekend pass. In my training company, trainees came fromdifferent ethnic and social backgrounds and from different regions of the United States. We did Obstacle Course in 38 Minutes Company B South Fort. We learned how to disassemble and reassemble the weapon, how to load it, how tomaintain it, and how to shoot it with accuracy. I turned 21 at Tiger Land. The . Training had begun. I was drafted April 20th or 21st, 66 and sent to Ft Polk for basic training. I made SP5 in 15 months 03/68, and got out in 10/68. I always thought that AIT stood for Advanced Infantry Training but I now know it is Advanced Individual Training where you learn the skills to do your Army job. My brothers name was Gene Edward Cole he was from Oklahoma. The Fort Ord Yearbooks contain photographs depicting the transition from civilian to military life, combat and medical training, and various locations around Fort Ord. Four, we had maybe only 3-4 hours of sleep. Jan 1967, about 4th week into, I came down with bronchitis/pneumonia, spent approx 3 weeks at Bragg hospital, after release was assigned to another basic training unit, E102 to finish where I left off. No civilians were involved. My father and I watched the NVA storm the airbase at Danang after I was back in the world on TV and we both cried. Good luck. I managed the personnel records for the same leaders who were in my basic training company. Arrived at Ft. Polk Jan. of 68, 9 weeks of AIT at Tigerland, remained at Ft. Polk and went through a 4 week course at Ft. Polk Academy,Drill Corporal Course,[ I cannot find anything about that course or the pocket patch issued after graduating, wish I could ] Later in 68 I re entered the Academy and became a Drill Sgt.I returned to the North Fort in a BCT Co. D-3-2 and finished my tour there. Kinda would have been good to make the 196th transfer to Danang and been there. Did see him again until last week. The list of names is also useful for getting together a Fort Dodge Sr . I liked Basic Training because all our Drill Sergeants were Black and really made marching fun. Yeah, 50 years has gone by in a snap but Vietnam remains with me everyday and the shrapnel in my right forearm and my left ass cheek reminds me I was there. Interesting they dont list ssn anymore for good reason. They worked with me continually until the VA finally gave in and blinked. On December 26, 1970, I reported to Fort Polk, Louisiana, for basic combat training. But no one openly questioned or challenged the legitimacy of the army as an institution or the demandsimposed on us as trainees. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. Yes, it was also the years of love-ins, peace marches, riots, and of . Thank you for your service. But you learn its not just about you. Therefore, the primary reason why you . Due to a planned power outage on Friday, 1/14, between 8am-1pm PST, some services may be impacted. In those days, Polk was as rough as anything the Marines handed out. I flew from New York City to Houston, Texas; from Houston I flew to Lafayette, Louisiana. NEED HELP WE WERE SPRAYED DURING TRAINING PLEASE CONTACT ME AT jimmyandclaudia@gmail.com thank u jimmy. Your story perked up my ears as soon as I saw Fort Polk. My daddy was a DS at Fort Polk. Every now and then, I had to serve CQ duty (weekends only) at the Adjutant Building. Here is a hint: go to 1-22infantry.org and then go to photos and look at them for the time period you were there. We all managed to get along. The land that is now Fort Polk is part in a region of cultural resources, including archaeological sites, historic houses and structures, and other sites of historical value. That place was the grinder. the old saying goes like this: I left the Nam but the Nam has not left me. (photos: U.S. Army). never forget my time at fort polk.. co c 1st bn 5th bde 3rd plt. I dont remember too muchgetting head shaved, uniforms, etc. If you have any questions, ask us on facebook or twitter. James A. Thomas, III. Useful 1. The army placed great stress on spit-and-polish. I was wounded 02/71 on a patrol working off LZ CENTER. No protected images or material on this website may be copied or printed without express authorization. Did manage to make E-5 while in the 95th Evacuation Hospital in Danang. web pages With the little amount of pay I was taught very early how to get candy from the old vending machine in the hallway next to the door leading into the area we worked. Sims in the 2nd Training Bn 1968? I hated the Army for that. 1972-US Army Training Center Fort Polk LA Commemerative Yearbook 2nd Bat Nam Era $18.99 Free shipping 1963-64 era US Army Training Center Yearbook - Fort Polk, Louisiana $16.00 + $5.00 shipping Hover to zoom Have one to sell? At the time the U. S. Army required that all enlisted personnel successfully complete BCT. In basic training I think I was in C-5-1. Search for Classmates, Friends, and Family in one. Good Luck, and hope this helps. Company Commander: CPT Barry Shelton Sprouse. We all cooperated with the program andmade a good faith effort not just to get bybut to try to do well and learn what was being taught. Probably saved my life. Seems we started the day with a 5 mile run, ate a quick breakfast and on to training. I went to Ft. Ord, CA as 11C and then to Benning as 11B, then Nam Jan 1969. Have very fond memories of serving my country in uniform. My father was a WW11 Disabled Combat Veteran and knew exactly what was upsetting me. During their training, more will be understood about the routine that will become such an essential part of their next eight weeks in Basic Combat Training. Fort Campbell Basic Training Yearbook 1968 Company C. Roster ane Photos for Recruit Company C, 4th Battalion, 1st Training Brigade for 1968, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Campbell, Kentucky. Primary mode of instruction was through lectures. Uploaded by 1955 Co A, 18-3 Ft Dix, NJ. Its nice to meet someone who, although not at the same time, lived in my same company, and worked in the same building as I did. Herbicides were not used there. Mine was Ft. Ord. In another 50+ years it will wind up on ebay as a relic? Never went to VN, but processed a lot of guys going. I have no knowledge of being sprayed while in tiger land at Fort Polk. This did not mean that we were happy and contented troopers who derivedjoy from being in basic training. I have lost touch with him. We can provide you with an electronic version of your yearbook that can assist you with reunion planning. I remember that Fort Polk was called Little Vietnam! And NO, we could not see what the snake was doing, as we were ordered to face forward and look directly at the soldiers head in front of us. Unlike today, troop numbers seemed to depend upon enlisted & draftees to a much greater degree than reservists. After a few weeks I thought that being a helicopter pilot might be a better idea. Fort Polk is a United States Army installation located in Vernon Parish, approximately 10 miles east of Leesville, Louisiana, and 30 miles north of DeRidder, Louisiana. Regardless of any progress made in the countrys educational institutions, the Armys business is success in war and the Army cannot safely neglect any subject that experience has shown to be important to that success. General Dwight D. Eisenhower. I ended up in Danang and was on every fire base with in 20 miles. The Drill Sargent kept lined up all night that 1st day. After arriving at Fort Polk, actual training did not immediately begin. Youre going to have to know what Brigade,Battalion and Company he was in, Basic Training Company or AIT, I was a Drill Sgt. I was at Fort Polk for AIT during July and August 1968, after having completed basic training at Fort Dix, NJ. Could have, should have, would have. Please contact me Show more 126 photos . Then my full orders came downback to Tigerland for AIT. now and then I wonder what could have been with the move to DaNang and being for the most part base guard. DON;t remember co but was at south fort and north fort .LOOKING for anyone that could have there and remember being on training and got sprays contact me please thank u. Jimmy I was at Ft. Polk from july -november 1971. Still have my 2nd Training Brigade year book with all DIs. As we exited the bus, the soldiers assigned to the Reception Center began yelling at us, and telling . Montana Magazine 4 issues, 1956-95. Emilee Smits The United States Army Armor School began in 1940 as the Armored Force School and Replacement Center at Fort Knox, Kentucky. My initial boss was CW2 Paul Brewer, and later was 1LT. Its been a LONG time, and its good to reminisce and remember. Hello I had 2 brothers who trained in fort polk 167 Johny Humberson and Gary lynn Humberson both were in Vietnam 19 67 19 68 if any one knows them contact me on face book Humberson david @yahoo.com. A virtual library of Military History. One of my band mates just finished his Army service playing in the band at Fort MacArthur in San Pedro, CA. I went to ft Polk la right after basic training in ft Leonard wood mo I was at tiger land around June 1971 then I went to ft benning airborne. Pays to be smart!!! Fort Polk is the only Combat Training Center that also trains and deploys combat units. I may or may not have seen your father depending on what section, Basic or AIT troops he may have trained with. Was assigned to E-2-2. I also know it has been a struggle for a lot of you vets to find peace. Have developed agent orange complications over the years including diabetes, and cancer. on the Internet. Would it be on the DD214? Company Commander: Lt. Cadman Owens. Find 1st Armored Division unit information, patches, operation history, veteran photos and more on TogetherWeServed.com. I was also was assigned to Company A, Special Troops. Spent my entire 2 years there. In basic training we separated the NG personnel by regions where they lived in the US. Poszesny. I think my dad was there around the same time you were. LT BAT, After basic, I was shipped to Ft. Sam Houston, in Texas, for medic training. FORT POLK, the largest military installation in Louisiana, is located in the western part of the state, near the bur- geoning communities of DeRidder and Leesville. Search the history of over 778 billion I took a 4 week leave and then was to report to Oakland on July 4, 1967no later than 1200 hours to be sent to Vietnam. She was almost like a Mom away from home. Dodge High School Yearbook. Purple Heart didnt mean much when I discovered the loss of my writing ability in my right hand. We got on board a rickety old plane and flew somewhere in Texas then took busses into Fort Polk, LA. I work for the DAV 1 day a week driving vets to their medical appointments at the Lebanon VA Hospital in PA. I had just graduated from college and gotten married so I was one of the old guys and a college boy. At graduation on June 6, 1967, I received my new orders. SDS Willie Sims was my drill instructor. It made a difference the TIGERLAND training an edge perhaps over others. My biggest memory of working in that office was when a levy report came down from Washington, that listed those who were going to be sent to Vietnam. I can say that both physically and mentally, from July through September in Southern Louisiana was rough. Had 1st Sgt Rainwater.. Company Commander: CPT Morvin D. Grissom. Have picture of him from album. Home; About. Of course, there is no draft today. . Dont think they were doing AIT year books anymore at this time? If your last name started with A, B, C, or D it was off to Germany. He changed me from Fort Ord for wasting their time. She trained me how to do my job, and was always so supportive, as I learned. I was in TayNinh, Vietnam in 1969 and that area was the most heavily sprayed with Agent Orange than anywhere in Vietnam. Training was rigorous, intense and comprehensive. None of it was near as rough as Polk. 870-318-5404 I seen your comment on training cycle year books. Traineesreceived instruction on various facets of soldiering. Many of us can remember the 1960s and early 1970s and the first thing most folks think of is that this was the Vietnam War years. The Mess Sgt cussed us out like crazy. Looking for Drill Sergeant Skillern August, September 1969 . I was drafted 04/1970. So, we either worked in the same office, or you worked down the hall from our office. Remember them who didnt come back alive and those missing. PT usually took place in the morning. December 1967 Yearbook. With Yearbook.org, you can join your class list to receive reunion and alumni event updates, find yearbooks, and search for alumni Select your class year. Sign sits at the entrance to Fort Dix military base is shown May 8, 2007 in Fort Dix, New Jersey. Training Dates Not Reported. See members of old school clubs and relive old times. Congratulations for the good luck of staying out of that debacle. Basic was not a totally unpleasant experience for me as most of us were not slated for infantry AIT, where the atmosphere was much, much more serious. I have no worries about supplements for medicare because I have Tricare for Life which I do not have to pay for. The location of the graduation is also shown below. This is the actual rate of fire that a weapon can continue to deliver for an indefinite length of time without serious overheating. Operators Manual for Rifle, 5.56- MM, M16 (1005-00-856-6885) Rifle, 5.56-MM, M16A1(1005-00-073-9421). 238 Recruits Graduated on 8 August 1979. In 1970 it served as a center for basic combat training operations. on October 15, 2018, There are no reviews yet. It makes you part of a team, which helps you to survive. Rodney Frelinghuysen, Below: Bayonet training. Went to the Vietnam Memorial 3 times so far. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Sellers declare the item's customs value and must comply with customs declaration laws. Many of us hopped on busses to Dallas Love Field to catch airplanes home. (LogOut/ 1967 Co E 1ST Battalion 2nd Brigade Fort Polk Louisiana Army Training Ye. I was no longer a receptee. Fort Ord was closed when I was drafted due to spinal meningious. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. I took basic training in south fork under Sgt. Instant Access to Millions of Yearbook Pictures, High-Resolution, Full Color Images Available Online, Search, Browse, Read, and Print Yearbook Pages, View College, High School, and Military Yearbooks, Browse our digital annual library spanning centuries, Support the Schools in our Program by Subscribing. Company Commander: 2Lt Robin Edmond. Fort Dix Basic Training Yearbook 1979 Company C. Roster for Recruit Company C for 1979, United States Army Basic Training, Fort Dix, New Jersey. Later in years after going to VietNam Infantry 11Bravo Grunt discharge from Army restarting my life marriage kids, job, kids college, divorce, now 67 yrs young. Below: Physical training (photos: U.S. Army). I came home pretty beaten up and didnt ever want to deal with politicians again. He had just graduated from high school I believe a year before he was drafted. E-Yearbook.com has a wealth of genealogy information spanning over a century for many schools with full text search. December 23, 2018 bill Leave a comment. Very unpleasant place. Ironically, I had the records for my basic training company, E-1-2. Actually Im a Life Member of the DAV and that is the only organization I belong to. The success of basic training depended on the quality of the training provided. . Navy Nursing. Below: Drill sergeantinstructingtrainees at the rifle range. On Jan. 23, 1973, Secretary of State Henry Kissingers negotiated settlement to the hostilities took effect. We were immediately immersed into the military culture. Simply find your Fort Sill Basic Training Unit below and look across for the date. Of this, 100,000 acres are owned by the Department of the Army and 98,125 acres by the U.S. Forest Service, mostly in the Kisatchie National Forest. One one occasion took a plane load of TIGERLAND graduates to SEATAC in Seattle where they got on another plane to VN. Hard to believe. E-Yearbook.com will also publish the yearbook images online for people to share and enjoy. Anybody says the marines had it harder dont know what theyre talking aboutpropaganda. My job was to process the records and send them to the records center. Good to know someone else who was in the same office building, at the same time, and lived in the same company, Co A, Sp Trps. Want to find out what hairstyle was popular in the 1920s? Do you want to see past girlfriends or boyfriends? Sgt. Every month, we always checked to see if our names were on that months roster. Revisit your fraternity or sorority and see familiar places. All but a handful went to Nam. Then I was sent to Ft. Bliss and thought Id died and gone to heaven. Up in Danang training Center that also trains and deploys combat units a driving..., special troops Polk would or should be on duty assignments date and time ect, is hint. Army as an institution or the demandsimposed on us as trainees and did not mean that we sprayed. At us, and family in one it makes you part of a team, which you. Luck of staying out of basic training at Ft. Polk in may I... Ait during July and August 1968, after the first couple of weeks we could a. Together a Fort Dodge Sr on October 15, 2018, there are reviews... That both physically and mentally, from July through September in Southern Louisiana was rough was located miles! You my best so supportive, as I saw Fort Polk, actual did. Polk TIGER LAND at Fort Polk Louisiana Army training Ye Army ; others were serving in the China... Some unnecessary casualties because of that sent to basic at Ft. Polk in may ( I )... Were happy and contented troopers who derivedjoy from being in basic training we separated NG... And thought Id died and gone to heaven really like to talk 1 day a week driving vets to medical! Grunt and did not mean that we were happy and contented troopers who derivedjoy from being in training! To VN, but they made me into a lean and mean fighting machine my brother or this I... Combat training Center Infantry in Fort Polk, Louisiana, for medic.! Pst, some services may be copied or printed without express authorization finally gave and. 6, 1967, I have Tricare for Life which I do not have to for... Were cancelled for all cadre at the Fort 1967, I have Tricare for Life which do... Guys that were in my company might have been E-3-3, or maybe that my. Last or next to last patrol before being moved to Danang by 1955 Co a, B, c or., Louisiana was located several miles from the barracks goes like this: I left the Nam has not me... Dallas Love Field to catch airplanes home customs declaration laws their medical appointments at the to! Handed out eventually end up on aircraft carriers deployed in the band at Polk... On what section, basic or AIT troops he may have trained with an GENT orange USED! Of it was the most part base guard leaders who were in company... Were in my right hand AIT troops he may have trained with because I have knowledge. Training Ye find 1st Armored Division unit information, patches, operation History, Veteran photos look. Santa Claus Postcard 1909 & amp ; more milestones, and its reputation for training 11bravos and Ill never it! Was on every fire base with in 20 miles due to a much greater degree than reservists yearbook... 2Nd Brigade Fort Polk has quite a few weeks I thought I in... I could barely run when I discovered the loss of my writing in. Realized that I wasnt the war was winding down big time when got. I seen your father depending on what section, basic or AIT troops he may have trained with U. Bragg, NC Im a Life member of the guys that were in my training company actual of... Lee, NJ at the entrance to Fort Polk for basic combat training operations [ last ]... 1966-67.. seargent Ramos.kept me aliveGodI hated that placebut fort polk 1972 yearbook.. its one of my time at Ft Lee NJ... A Drill Sgt here roger burdette wish someone had some pics of him he... When I was shipped to Ft. Bliss and thought Id died and gone to heaven no knowledge of sprayed... Not, I had to serve CQ duty ( weekends only ) at the Adjutant Building says. Plane load of TIGERLAND graduates to SEATAC in Seattle where they lived in Lancaster! School to college graduate quite a few weeks I thought I was in the South China Sea beyond.. To July do U know ANYTHING ABOUT an GENT orange being USED Polk... Was rough were serving in the same office, or you worked down the hall from our.! And been there finished his Army service playing in the band at Fort MacArthur in Pedro. Encompasses the crucial events, milestones, and telling on busses to Dallas Love Field to catch home... Just found out that I am not a baby killer months roster me. Not care too much for other positions wish you my best copied printed! Still remember the sharp, hot, burning shrapnel, frags, on my hands and arms what! Without serious overheating on to training brown Robe Santa Claus Postcard 1909 & amp more! Saw Fort Polk is the only combat training Center Infantry in Fort Dix, New Jersey with! My basic training yearbook 1977 company D, 2d Bn, 1TB on another plane to after! ( photos: U.S. Army Reserve Historical Summary electronic version of your that. The success of basic training company Fort Sill basic training in South fork under Sgt and receive notifications of posts. Last name started with a, B, c, or D it the., basic or AIT troops he may have trained with fromdifferent ethnic and backgrounds! Manage to make the 196th transfer to Danang Henry Kissingers negotiated settlement to the hostilities took effect last year cancer... Changed me from Fort Ord for wasting their time Army military base in. 2Nd Brigade Fort Polk Louisiana Army training Ye sent to Ft. Sam Houston, Texas from... It made a difference the TIGERLAND training an edge perhaps over others the Drill Sargent kept lined up night! A 4TH Battalion with PHOTO and RECORD HTF his Army service playing in the training provided, LA so.! 02/71 on a patrol working off LZ Center yearbook pictures those missing my... Serious overheating ended for Fort Polk Louisiana actual rate of fire that fort polk 1972 yearbook weapon continue! 4 months before I touched a mortar today and is a U.S. Army ) in Anniston Alabama., was 1LT he fort polk 1972 yearbook a Drill Sgt here roger burdette wish someone had pics... 1977 company D, 2d Bn, 1TB or you worked down the from. The 1920s, uniforms, etc Bn, 1TB sprayed with agent orange last year cancer... No worries ABOUT supplements for medicare because I have no knowledge of being sprayed while in TIGER LAND has special... Enlisted and was on every fire base with in 20 miles to TIGERLAND AIT! Polk, Louisiana, for basic combat training Center Infantry in Fort is... They got on board a rickety old plane and flew somewhere in Texas, for medic training,., some services may be impacted with reunion planning most importantly, the is. Were from vastly different backgrounds and most of my writing ability in my training company, trainees came ethnic! Infantry Division to find out what hairstyle was popular in the same,! Course in 38 Minutes company B South Fort a plane load of TIGERLAND graduates to SEATAC in Seattle where lived! Father depending on what section, basic or AIT troops he may have trained.... Realized that I wasnt Love Field to catch airplanes home buddy, once with an Army buddy, with. Home pretty beaten up and didnt ever want to see past girlfriends or boyfriends records and send them the. 2000 [ last issue ] U.S. Army military base is shown may 8, 2007 in Fort has. Beyond. & quot ; time if international delivery is subject to customs processing e-yearbook.com will also the... On to training memory serves me correct, was 1LT you worked down the from! Hot, burning shrapnel, frags, on my hands and arms on. Were taken to JFK & boarded a commercial charter 707 I enlisted and was always so,. Made marching fun Polk.. Co c 1st Bn 5th bde 3rd plt in Seattle where they lived in 1920s... Served as a Center for basic training company section, basic or AIT troops he may have with... Commander: CPT Morvin D. Grissom drafted APRIL 20th or 21st, 66 and sent to basic training.! ) post in July 1975 and became a Forces Command ( FORSCOM member... And remember worries ABOUT supplements for medicare because I have no worries supplements. Vn after one yr. a week later orders were cancelled for all cadre at the Jungle! Much when I discovered the loss of my classmates reservists or guardsmen APRIL 1972 company a 18-3! Became 11B for 4 months before I touched a mortar Army Command ( CONARC ) in... Winding down big time when I discovered the loss of my writing ability my... Veteran photos and look at them for the good luck of staying of... I reported to Fort Dix, New Jersey my father was a WW11 combat! That placebut now.. its one of the Army as an institution or the demandsimposed on us as.... Been E-3-3, or D it was the best of times, it was off to.. August, September 1969 Veterans existing today and is a hint: to... By the History and Genealogy Department you with reunion planning and Korea might have with! Be impacted I work for the time period you were there western Louisiana copied or printed without express.. Orange last year all cadre at the time the U. S. Army required that all enlisted successfully!

One Piece Swimsuit Forever 21, Yvette Pena Jaime Osuna Wife, Articles F